Housing Choice Voucher & Public Housing Overview
The Housing Authority of the County of DeKalb uses income limits developed by HUD. Income limits vary from area to area so you may be eligible at one HA but not at another. You can find the Income Limits that are effective for the current Fiscal Year on HUD’s website. Applicants for both programs are placed on a waiting list according to Preference Points, then date and time of completed application. The tenant (head of household) or co-tenants must meet the eligibility requirements. Eligible applicants properly verified will be placed on a waiting list. Applicants may select to be placed on one or more program list. Completing an application does not guarantee being placed on the waiting list.
Are There Any Selection Preferences?
Giving preference to specific groups of families enables us to direct our limited housing resources to the families with the greatest housing needs. Since the demand for housing assistance often exceeds the limited resources available to HUD and the local Housing Authorities, long waiting periods are common. In fact, any Housing Authority may choose to close its waiting list when there are more families on the list than can be assisted in the near future. Therefore the Housing Authority of the County of DeKalb has established preferences to reflect needs in our own community and the surrounding areas. These preferences are listed below and found in the Admissions & Continued Occupancy Policy [ACOP].
At the time an applicant is selected from the waiting list, local preferences claimed on the application will be verified by a 3rd party. If the preference cannot be verified, the applicant will be returned to the waiting list.
The preferences are:
- Family Preference = Head of household or spouse has legal custody of a minor child or children. If the head of household or spouse is elderly (62 or older) or disabled they qualify for this preference.
- Working Preference = Head, spouse, or sole member of the household is employed. Elderly (62 or older) or disabled head or spouse qualify for this preference.
- Residency Preference = Applicant family resides or works (permanent non-temporary job) within the County of DeKalb Illinois.
- Rent Burden = Applicant family is currently paying more than 50% of their family/household income for rent.
- Continuum of Care = Applicant family is currently residing in Emergency Shelter, Transitional Shelter, Permanent Supportive Housing or participating in homeless services at/in/through a participating DeKalb County Continuum of Care agency such as Hope Have, Safe Passage, etc and have received a written letter of recommendation from that agency not less than 30 days ago.
How The Application Process Works?
The applicant must accurately complete a pre-application online. By submitting your application for housing assistance you are giving your consent for the Housing Authority of the County of DeKalb to obtain all criminal history records for all household members (18 years of age and older) necessary to determine your eligibility for housing assistance programs administered by the Housing Authority. When housing assistance is available, the following information is collected to determine eligibility:
- Names of all persons who would be living in the unit, their sex, date of birth, and relationship to the head of the family;
- Your present address and telephone number;
- Family characteristics (e.g., veteran) or circumstances (e.g., displaced or working) that might qualify the family for tenant selection preferences;
- Your family’s current income and the sources of that income;
- The names and addresses of employers, banks, and any other information the HA would need to verify your income and deductions, and to verify the family composition.
After obtaining this information, the HA will verify the above information and perform a nationwide criminal background check on all family members 18 and older.
Will I Need to Produce Any Documentation?
Yes, the HA representative will request specific documentation needed (e.g., birth certificates, tax returns) to verify the information given on your application. The PHA will also rely on direct verification from your employer, etc. You will be required to sign a form to authorize release of pertinent information to the PHA.
When Will I Be Notified?
When housing assistance is available you will be contacted by mail. You and all household members 18 and older will be required to attend an interview. If after your interview it is determined that you are ineligible, the HA will notify you by mail stating the reason(s). If you are determined ineligible, you can request an informal review.