Working at the Housing Authority of the County of DeKalb – Illinois can be both challenging and rewarding. Our organization provides affordable and quality housing with compassion and professional excellence in DeKalb County. It’s our employees who make it happen. The Housing Authority of the County of DeKalb is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
Click here to read the Housing Authority of the County of DeKalb Employee Handbook – last modified 12/19/2017
The Housing Authority of the County of DeKalb Illinois
DeKalb, IL 60115
$95,000 – $140,000 a year
- Leadership: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor’s Degree (Preferred)
- Experience with a PHA, affordable housing, LIHTC housing or HUD preferred; or any equivalent combination of education, certification, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Driver’s License
- Health, Vision & Dental, Life & STD Insurance
- Retirement Plan & 457 Deferred
- 12 Paid Federal Holidays
- PTO for Vacation & Sick Time
- Vehicle Allowance
Full Job Description
The Housing Authority of the County of DeKalb [HACD] is seeking a skilled and experienced professional to be responsible for the leadership and management of a medium sized Public Housing Authority. With a staff of 24 and an annual budget of $9M, the Authority operates 280 Public Housing units, 586 Housing Choice Vouchers, 25 VASH vouchers, 17 Emergency Housing Vouchers and 54 Shelter Plus Care Units, 12 HUD Multifamily units and 51 various other units.
The Director assumes a proactive leadership role with respect to all activities of the Housing Authority and is the primary liaison between the Authority and other units of local government, the media, and the public. The Executive Director shall ensure that the daily operations of the Authority are conducted in a fiscally prudent manner, while maintaining Authority assets in good condition and high quality and provide effective supervision and management of other Authority staff, utilizing legally compliant procedures and policies that develop positive employee morale and loyalty to the organization.
Knowledge of the principles of public housing management, as well as personnel and administration management preferred. Experience working with a diverse population and people of various socio-economic backgrounds. Work experience at a senior management level. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Must live in the County of DeKalb or obtain residency.
Essential Job Functions
- Coordinates the development of any new housing programs to assure the housing needs of low-income persons and families within the HACD jurisdiction are effectively met.
- Coordinates all modernization activities through the Capital Fund Program and assure the Health and Safety, Energy Conservation and Cosmetic needs of existing conventional housing properties are met.
- Coordinates, implements, and operates all policies of HACD as established by the Board of Commissioners relative to the administration of its Conventional Public Housing, Section 8 Housing and related housing programs.
- Coordinate the activities of all Administrative, Housing Management, Maintenance, and other personnel by determining job responsibilities and duties; delegation of authority; disciplinary action; etc. in accordance with approved Personnel Policy and/or related policy or procedure.
- Review and if applicable, approve all purchase requisitions, purchase orders and invoices for the purchase of materials, services, or contract work prior to submission to the Board of Commissioners for payment.
- Annually evaluate insurance coverages to assure the appropriate levels of coverage are maintained to protect the Authority, its employees and property.
- Coordinate a Public Relations Program designed to enhance HACD’s professional image and standing in the community. This program may include dissemination of news release, coordination of press conferences, development of and participation in seminars, workshops and conferences, participation in community activities and programs, etc.
- Represent HACD at the request of the Board of Commissioners at State, Regional, and National Housing conferences, workshops, seminars and/or training sessions. These activities shall be sponsored by agencies such as HUD, NAHRO, NCHM and PHADA.
- Stay abreast and informed on Local, State and Federal legislation, rules and regulations and policies and procedures; innovative and contemporary strategies within operation, etc., that could be utilized to maintain consistency with trends and improve HACD operations in all areas.
- Prepare monthly narratives and financial reports to the Board of Commissioners on the activities of the staff and the status of the Housing Complexes. Reports shall be inclusive of, but not limited to, Occupancy, Residents Accounts Receivable, Section 8 Financial, etc. Shall act as Secretary to the Board of Commissioners by providing and keeping accurate and timely meeting minutes and records of the Authority. Director shall act as Agency lead FOIA Officer and responsible for OMA compliance.
- Direct and supervise the preparation of annual budgets and all necessary reports as required by the Department of Housing and Urban Development and State of Illinois regulatory Statutes.
- Assign responsibilities to key personnel and supervises their activities in assuring the authority operates at maximum efficiency and effectiveness.
- Provide for the training of all employees in efforts to assure they have the knowledge and the skills to perform their duties in an efficient and effective manner.
- Make recommendations on staff organization, job descriptions, salary ranges and other pertinent personnel salary administration issues, which would result in a more effective operation.
- Establish appropriate staff relationships. Must hold regular meetings to keep staff abreast of operations and whether the HACD is achieving the goals it has established for itself.
- Maintain close liaison with other governmental agencies concerned with housing programs and the needs of low-income constituency served by HACD.
- Maintain close working relationship with interested community groups within the housing community and also the community at large.
- Keeps the HACD community informed on the operations of the HACD’s housing programs.
- Develop, implement, and oversee strategies designed to ensure the HACD meets the performance standards by HUD.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the HACD Board of Commissioners.
Possession of a bachelor’s degree in a related field; five (5) years of supervisory and leadership experience preferred; any experience with a PHA, affordable housing, LIHTC housing or HUD preferred; or any equivalent combination of education, certification, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The Housing Authority of the County of DeKalb is an equal opportunity employer. To request a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact the Authority via email email@example.com or phone 815.758.2692 x. 123. Please be prepared to provide information in support of your reasonable accommodation request.
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
This position will remain open until filled. This is a full-time salaried position that is not eligible for overtime.